Friday, May 05, 2006

Breaking 100: The Breaking Point

When I created this blog, I said that it would not be a “Royals Suck!” web site, but rather would simply track the Royals and their various moves and strategies to avoid 100 losses.

I thought it was a good idea at the time. I could write about how they’re platooning this guy against that pitcher, or how Buddy Bell elected to bunt that one runner over late in the game.

I did not expect this. Actually, that’s not correct. I did expect this, but I was hoping it wouldn’t happen. You see, I’ve been a Royals fan all of my life. I grew up with Freddie Patek, Cookie Rojas, and Amos Otis. I became an adult while watching Bret Saberhagen, George Brett, and Willie Wilson. I’ve always been proud to wear my Royals blue.

But the last ten years have been tough. My son is coming of age, and he has to endure this embarrassment. I’ve said it before, the only thing I want for my children is for them to experience the excitement of watching a winning baseball team.

But instead, we’ve been watching a nightmare. They traded Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez. They signed free agents like Albie Lopez, Juan Gonzalez, Benito Santiago, and Reggie Sanders. (I like Reggie, but 2 years, 10 million dollars?!?)

They drafted Roscoe Crosby and Colt Griffin. Their strength and conditioning staff can’t keep the team healthy. They throw cutoff throws into the backs of their infielders. They forget how many outs there are. They step on the rosin bad while picking off a runner. They collide with each other while fielding a bunt. They fall down behind the tarp. They cancel a banquet because it costs too much. Their ever positive, peppy manager walks away without speaking to his players.

And then they call up one of their best hitting prospects to sit on the bench. The Royals have said all along this year that Justin Huber will stay in AAA Omaha all year to work on his defensive skills. They feel his bat is almost ready, but they want to give him an entire season at AAA to work on playing first base, because he is learning the position after being a catcher most of his life.

So what do the Royals do? They call Huber up to fill the spot vacated when Mike Sweeney went on the DL. Will he play first base in Kansas City? No, the Royals are paying millions to Doug Mientkiewicz to do that. Will he get at bats? No, the Royals still have DH Matt Stairs. So why is he here?

So, yes, this organization has been an embarrassment for a decade. Those of us who are optimistic have always thought that there was a chance they could win some games. Just look at 2003. But who are we kidding? It’s painfully obvious to all that this organization doesn’t know how to scout or evaluate talent. The organization isn’t willing to spend the money necessary to bring in players who can actually make a difference. (As opposed to signing players that nobody else would sign and that want another year or two of paychecks.)

Twice in the past two weeks, owner David Glass has been quoted as saying he’s frustrated and that changes will have to be made soon. Okay, Mr. Glass, we fans are glad you’re finally feeling what we’ve felt for years. What took you so long?

Our fear is that Mr. Glass will fire the GM and maybe the manager and some coaches, but what will that change? Until the organization completely overhauls itself – scouting, coaching, player evaluation – things won’t improve.

The amazing thing is that there are still fans like me who care. They voted to spend millions on stadium renovations. They want to love their baseball team. I just hope the team will be worthy of that devotion sometime soon.

No comments: