Monday, May 22, 2006

Breaking 100: Not Giving Up Yet...

I just saw Beamer's comment suggesting I give up this effort soon.

The losing is difficult. What can I write that's new and different from game to game? They pitch poorly, the don't hit, they play poor defense, they lose the game. Whether the team has given up on avoiding 100 losses is debatable, but I will continue to write about them.

I found it interesting that some of the veterans who joined the Royals this season have begun to speak out. Scott Elarton made comments suggesting that some of his teammates don't seem to care that the team is losing. "If you don't care, you're not going to get better," Elarton said.

Doug Mientkiewicz also spoke out, saying "There comes a time when you have to look at yourself in the mirror and say, 'I'm tired of being a sideshow.' This is inexcusable, and I'm not excluding myself from the problem."

It's amazing how players who have performed well on other teams seem to drop off the table when they join the Royals. I realize Reggie Sanders is nearing the end of his career, but he didn't struggle like this on other teams. There seems to be an aura of losing here. Where it comes from, I don't know, but I look at it like rust on my old Mustang. Unless it is all removed, it will always be a problem.

David Glass made comments recently saying that his proposed "significant changes" were taking longer to determined than he had originally thought. Perhaps his biggest mistake was to make comments about upcoming changes too soon. Whatever he is doing, let's hope he is rooting out the source of the problem and formulating a real plan to put this team on the right track.

These changes may require a new General Manager or Manager, but according to some veterans, it also requires new players.

Let's go get 'em.

No comments: